JOB TITLE: Parent Educator Assistant
Parent as Teachers Program (PAT)
JOB SUMMARY: The Parent Educator Assistant assists the Parent Educator with conducting home visits and developmental screenings for families enrolled in the program. The assistance also networks with other organizations, as appropriate, and along with the Parent Educator, represents the Parents as Teachers Program to the public at large.
MISSION: Rooted in the Mission of Jesus, the task of the Parent Educator Assistant at St. Gabriel Mercy Center is to collaborate with the Parent Educator to assist parents to be their child’s best educator; to provide screenings for the children; and to be an advocate for parents and/or the children.
1. Assists the Parent Educator with selecting new families for the PAT program, as needed.
- Assists with enrollment for PAT families.
- Conducts some home visits along with the Parent Educator Assistant and teaches parents how to be their child’s first and best teacher utilizing the Parents as Teachers curriculum.
- Assists the Parent Educator in conducting and providing for the developmental screening of children in the program according to the Parents as Teachers guidelines.
1. Participates in periodic in-service opportunities.
- Assists the Parent Educator in providing monthly group meetings for parents enrolled in the program.
- Assists the Parent Educator in providing seasonal events for families enrolled in the program.
1. Networks with other organizations which provide services and resources that would be beneficial to program participants.
- Along with the Parent Educator, represents the Parents as Teachers program to the public at large.
- Attends meetings as requested by the Parent Educator and St. Gabriel Mercy Center leadership.
- Attends staff meetings of St. Gabriel Mercy Center.
1. Assists Parent Educator with providing appropriate documentation of services rendered and submission of a monthly statistical report to the supervisor of programs.
- Keeps all personal certifications current.
- Assists with keeping PAT vehicles clean and reporting needs to the supervisor of programs.
- Performs other duties, as may be assigned by the Parent Educator and St. Gabriel Mercy Center leadership.
- Working knowledge of Visitracker for data keeping.
Associate’s Degree with preference given to applicants with experience in the field of early childhood
- Excellent relational skills
- Good organizational skills
- Flexibility and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to tolerate ambiguity
- Deep respect and compassion for the poor and disadvantaged.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Valid Mississippi Driver’s License.
- Computer literacy needed.
Reports to Supervisor of Programs